This petition of certain citizens of Australia draws to the attention of the Senate that:
- Reputable human rights organisations report significant human rights violations committed by Indonesian police and military in West Papua;
- These violations are committed with impunity;
- The Australian Federal Police and Australian Defence Forces provide substantial support to the Indonesian police and military, including D88, Brimob and Kopassus, the worst human rights offenders;
- The nature and extent of this support is not fully disclosed;
- No conditionality or benchmarks are attached to this support to ensure Indonesian police and military respect human rights
We therefore ask the House to call on the Government to:
- Condemn human rights violations everywhere, including in West Papua;
- Vigorously raise concerns about human rights violations committed in West Papua with the Indonesian Government;
- Take action at the United Nations to hold the Indonesian Government fully accountable for human rights violations committed by its security forces in West Papua;
- Ensure that Australian Government aid does not enable human rights violations anywhere, including in West Papua;
- Initiate an independent audit of the effectiveness and human rights risks associated with all programs involving Indonesian police and military receiving Australian Government funding.
Tick the checkbox below to be sent email updates from collaborating organisations: #MakeWestPapuaSafe Campaign and Wage Peace.
References: Indonesia: "Don't Bother, Just Let Him Die": Killing With Impunity In Papua AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL 2 JULY 2018